Apple Cider Vinegar and why you need to use it.
"I have always wished my body was a forest rather than flesh and bones. I would rather a wildfire burn me to the ground than the hands of a man who does not love me. At least the version of me that grows from the ashes will be more beautiful than the wreckage he will leave of my soul."
- Nikita Gil
Here's the deal. Apple cider vinegar stinks. The smell is horrendous and the taste is no better.... So why am I saying that you need it in your life?
Hair, skin and overall health! Some call this a beauty elixir and I couldn't agree more.
First things first, make sure you are using Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). You want it to contain the "mother"which contains enzymes and "gut" friendly bacteria. The ACV that I use is Braggs and I highly recommend it. I usually get it on Amazon or at the Vitamin Shoppe.
** Ingesting & topical - I recommend a tablespoon or two added to a glass of water and drinking on an empty stomach. Some just take a shot of ACV but it's so acidic that most people can't handle it! Aside from the taste, I worry that it's too harsh so I always dilute it before drinking it. Same with topically, if you are applying to the face - dilute it!
- Diabetes - Studies have shown a correlation with taking ACV daily and lower blood sugar levels.
- Lowers cholesterol - Pectin helps to regulate blood pressure levels
- Reduces bloating - the acidity helps with digestion.
- Kills bad breath - antibacterial properties can help to kill any nasties!
- Suppresses appetite - drinking a glass before a meal will help you to feel full much faster!
- Soothe a sore throat - gargle a tablespoon with water every hour or so. The antibacterial properties and acidity helps to destroy bacteria
- Colds - the potassium thins mucus.
- Heartburn and acid reflux - acidity helps to level out the acid levels in your stomach
- Soothes sunburns - natural astringent soothes pain and speeds up healing process
There are many more benefits but these are to name a few!
I try to always drink it first thing in the morning; a glass of water with two tablespoons of ACV. If you can't handle the taste, you can try making a tea and adding honey as well to sweeten a little.
- Shine - an after-shampoo rinse of a tablespoon or two with cold water once or twice a week.
- Dandruff - there can be many causes of dandruff. Whether it is yeast, imbalances or deficiencies - using an ACV rinse (half and half dilution), leaving it on for 15 mins and then washing it out, will help with all of these issues!
- Lice/fleas - Repels those nasties!!
- Cleansing & Clarifying - removes excess product buildup
- De-frizz and prevent split ends - smoothes the cuticles
- Fights acne - antibacterial and anti-fungal helps keep blemishes away
- Balancing skin - balances pH levels and oil production
- Exfoliates - contains malic and alpha hydroxy acids that remove dead skin cells
- Eases psoriasis - used with caution, make sure to dilute it enough so it does not cause irritation
- Calms irritations and inflammation
For the skin, I love using ACV as a toner. I usually make a batch of half ACV, half distilled water. Apply with a cotton round and proceed with your serums and moisturizers after. It smells very strongly at first but it dissipates after a few minutes.
Do you use Apple Cider vinegar for health or beauty benefits? Any I haven't mentioned above? Let us know in the comments below!